Sunday, October 26, 2008

Bonnie and Clyde


I watched the 1967 film "Bonnie and Clyde" last night. The movie was enjoyable enough, but it always bothers me when period films aren't authentic to the time they're portraying. I just don't take it as seriously.
The producers seemed to have had enough money to put into the set, the cars, and even the clothes. When it came to doing the hair and make-up though, it looked like they just couldn't be bothered. So what did they say, "Hey guys, we just spent all this time and money making the whole town look like the early 30's, but don't worry about hair and make-up! Just do it modern 1960's!"
This is most recognisable on Faye Dunaway's character Bonnie. I have posted a photo of the real "Bonnie". Even if they didn't want Faye to look exactly like Bonnie, they could have at least given her a 1930's look. The 30's were known for short hair, finger waves and thin eye-brows, but there you have Faye with her very 60's hair and heavy liquid eyeliner.
I don't get it.

8 comments:

Helena said...

Was Dunaway really that thin? :-D

christina said...

Faye Dunaway as Bonnie is adorable! As historical figures, I'm sure their situations were a bit romanticized, but I can't help but dream of meeting my Clyde one day.

fuzzylizzie said...

Modern makeup and hair styles have pretty much been the norm in movie-making. One of the worst offenders was "Some Like it Hot" with Mariyn Monroe. The movie was set in the 20s, but she was straight out of 1957!

Siru said...

Maybe they just didn't get it.

juliet xxx

Make Do Style said...

That is classic of holywood at this time everything they did wasn't referenced correctly!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

This film does bother me--I also just don't like how it just suddenly starts. But I love it for the style, I find Dunaway's clothes and "look" in the film very inspiring.

Kira Aderne said...

I didn´t watch this first one...but great to know more about it :)

a kiss!

Miss Rascal said...

My man and I decided the other day that if we get twins that's a boy and a girl we'd name them Bonnie and Clyde. :)