Thursday, September 06, 2007

Vintage Starlet of the Day

The glamorous Myrna Loy. Myrna started her acting career off in the silent films of the 1920's, usually cast as an exotic vamp. She then went on to become a huge success in the talking films of the 1930's, often cast as the perfect wife.
Famous quote: "Some perfect wife I am," she said, referring to her typecasting. "I've been married four times, divorced four times, have no children, and can't boil an egg."

Did you know that Venice High School had a statue of Myrna out in their front lawn for decades? It was created in 1921, before she was famous. Myrna was just a 16 year old student when she was chosen to pose for the art work that was being done for the school. If you watch the movie "Grease", which features Venice High School, you will see the statue of Myrna out front. Sadly, the statue was recently taken down for "repairs", but was spotted laying out in the schools scrap yard, with the head missing.

9 comments:

WendyB said...

I love that quote of hers!

Frasier said...

At first glance she could pass for an Indian actress from that era.She looks differant from the stereotype of that age...very beautiful

Marci said...

I had the amazing opportunity to wear my hair like that during a play I did in high school. Everyone said that I needed to aim for a "Myrna Loy" look. thanks for reminding me of the nice memory :)

PS - Thanks keeping us in your thoughts since my dad's illness. It means a lot to me.

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

stunning photograph!

Amy said...

Gosh she was a classic beauty wasn't she?

In Yr Fshn said...

She's so beautiful. It's very distressing to hear about her neglected statue...

Anonymous said...

Hi,

This blog is very good and informative.
Ecommerce Solutions
Free Directory

khan

jungle dream pagoda said...

What a wonderful todbit ! I never knew that about the statue! LOVE Myrna!

Dandelion Vintage said...

Ah, my favorite, The Goddess Myrna!