Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Women & The Opposite Sex








I'm not a big fan of vintage films being remade today, but when it's an old remake of an even older movie, well then I'm interested! “The Opposite Sex” was made in 1956 as a remake of the 1939 classic “The Women”. I was really excited to see this film, but other than having a decent cast and some great clothes, it didn't really do it for me. The original was just so glamorous and witty, where I found this remake almost boring at times. Did they really think they could replace Joan Crawford with Joan Collins? Or Norma Shearer with June Allyson? I mean, c'mon, there was really no chance of “The Opposite Sex” even coming close to “The Women”. Anyhow, I thought I would do a little comparison with pictures. Hope you enjoy!

4 comments:

vintage_kitten said...

I'm the same way with films and they re create them.I'm always picking out missing lines and scenes.lol.The women with joan crawford is the best.And it's so funny too.Especially when they are exercising.lol.Look at those glamorous gowns and beautiful hairstyles.Don't see that kind of beauty now adays.xx

Patti said...

I am SO with you on not being a fan of remaking the classics!!

And you know what, I have never seen "The Women." I'm sure in the last month, no less than 6 blogging friends have mentioned that film, some of them far more than one time. I guess I need to put it on my watch list.

I love the gowns in the old movies. Women were elegant...sexy even...without being nearly completely exposed as they are today. I wish women could understand that they don't have to be nearly naked to look sexy.

Witchcrafted Life said...

There is so much sartorial inspiration jam packed into both of these classic films that I could happily watch either one a hundred times! :)


Wishing you a beautiful Thursday, sweet gal!

Jessica

DitzyRedhead said...

that is so cool! I love your vintage photos of the old starlets!